Herlavestune (estate or farm of Herelaf) is mentioned in the Domesday Book.
William de Mortimer builds first church on property.
Land is owned by the Mortimers of Norforlk.
Edmund de Swynford builds the “old” manor house. Fortified by a moat, the manor is used as a hunting lodge by John O’Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, son of Edward III.
Daniel de Ligne (d. 1658), Flemish refugee from religious persecution, purchases Harlaxton for £8,000. He is later knighted by James I and serves as High Sheriff of Lincolnshire.
Last of direct De Ligne descendants, Daniel de Ligne, dies (1666-1730). Estate passes to Anne Orton (1713-1785), great- great-grandaughter of Sir Daniel de Ligne.
George Gregory (1697-1758) marries Anne Orton and becomes lord of the manor. They have four sons: George (taking the name George de Ligne Gregory, 1740-1822), William (taking the name William Gregory Williams, 1742-1814), Edward (1743-1824) and Daniel (1747-1819).
George de Ligne Gregory inherits his father’s estates and also, in 1781, the Williams estates of his aunt, Susanna Gregory (1704-1781), including land at Nottingham, Rempstone, Harlaxton, Denton, Radford, and Stanton-on-the-Wolds.
Original manor reported as desolate but containing a considerable collection of art.
George de Ligne Gregory builds Hungerton Hall as his residence.
Gregory Gregory Williams (1786-1854), son of William Gregory Williams, inherits the estates of his father and uncle, George de Ligne Gregory. Residing at Hungerton Hall, he designs a new manor to house his collection of architectural pieces and furniture.
Gregory Gregory dies before the new manor is fully completed.
The original manor is demolished, leaving an Elizabethan entranceway on Rectory Road in the village. A stone balustrade, iron gates, and two lions with family shields from the old manor can be seen in the manor grounds today.
Harlaxton is home to the Machine Gun Corps and Royal Flying Corps/RAF during World War One.
Violet Van der Elst purchases Harlaxton.
Harlaxton is operated by the RAF during World War Two.
Harlaxton is sold to the Society of Jesus and used as a seminary.
Stanford University, in California, leases Harlaxton as the site for its Stanford in Britain program.
The University of Evansville leases Harlaxton as the home for a new international study center.
Dr. William Ridgway, trustee of the University of Evansville, purchases Harlaxton and 105 acres of surrounding land from the Society of Jesus.
Dr. Ridgway transfers ownership of Harlaxton to the University of Evansville and permanently establishes Harlaxton College.
With the generous support of donors, the University of Evansville acquires an additional 192 acres of farmland, lake and woodland to the front of Harlaxton Manor. The Harlaxton College campus now totals 297 acres.