The House system is an integral part of life at Harlaxton College and aims to provide a sense of community and identity within each House that goes beyond students’ home campuses. The House system also works to:
- Provide a framework for the College’s extracurricular activities;
- Increase involvement in academic, athletic, creative, and social activities;
- Engage students with a strong British tradition and history associated with the individual Houses;
- Provide additional leadership opportunities through the House Captain roles;
- Create a stable platform for extracurricular activities and provide opportunities for students to positively engage with the Harlaxton community outside of the classroom.
House events run throughout the semester with points being awarded for each event or competition. Competitions/events fall into the categories of Academic, Athletic, Creative, Social, and Other. The House with the most points at the end of the semester will win the overall House competition: The Manor Key!
Gregory has perhaps the most widespread interests: they can be scientists, artists, or diplomats. The ability to be many things at once can sometimes get them lost. However, those of Gregory are fierce and can find, or fight, their way out of the darkness.
Mercians are known for their honesty and ability to adapt. They are most comfortable in autumn, the very season of change. Do not forsake their honesty though; like their double-headed Eagle they can defend themselves quite well.
Known for their war cry, Newton is not a house to be tempered with. With exceptional war strategy and a keen interest in science, Newtonians can muddle through almost any situation. They can be misunderstood, but are highly intelligent.
The house of Pegasus is one filled with romance, both in word and deed. They will sacrifice themselves for the good of a country or a greater goal. They are also light on their feet, so be wary of their winged quickness.
Which house will select you...?